Leaders from across progressive movement to advise new project warning public about the partisan capture of the Supreme Court.
WASHINGTON, DC — On Wednesday, leaders from across the progressive movement announced the formation of “Supreme Court Voter”, a new 501c4 project that will spend the coming months educating and engaging progressives about the disastrous impact of Donald Trump’s judicial appointments and about how the Supreme Court’s future is now on the line.
To kick off its work, the Supreme Court Voter project is launching an initial $2 million advertising buy in Arizona, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. The first of the ads declares: “Donald Trump has hijacked our Supreme Court with far-right justices like Brett Kavanaugh who will serve for decades after Trump leaves office. We can’t afford any more Brett Kavanaughs, or our Court will be his Court. The future of the Supreme Court is on the line.”
The project will also organize more than a dozen trainings of activists in key states over the coming weeks and has created an online action center that allows users to get involved by submitting their stories about the personal impact of rulings by Trump’s judges and by calling their senators to urge the defeat of Trump judicial nominees.
The Supreme Court Voter project’s Board of Advisors includes:
- Ana Maria Archila, Co-Executive Director of the Center for Popular Democracy
- Ady Barkan, Co-Founder of Be a Hero
- Dr. Abdul El-Sayed, physician and progressive activist
- Brian Fallon, Executive Director of Demand Justice
- Anna Galland, former Executive Director of MoveOn
- Fatima Goss Graves
- Ilyse Hogue, President of NARAL Pro-Choice America
- María Teresa Kumar, President and CEO of Voto Latino
- Jen Psaki, former White House Communications Director
- Jess Morales Rocketto, Executive Director of Care in Action and Civic Engagement Director of the National Domestic Workers Alliance
- Alexandra Rojas, Executive Director of Justice Democrats
- Maya Rupert, Progressive Strategist and Writer
- Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.
- Randi Weingarten, President of the American Federation of Teachers
Research conducted for Supreme Court Voter by Hart Research Associates found overwhelming concern from progressives and independents about the possibility of Donald Trump appointing more justices to the Supreme Court. A memo outlining key findings from that research can be found here.
# # #